Mekhala Organic Thai Basil Garlic Paste sets the (under)tone in this vegetarian lasagne that’s great for days when it’s too cold to go outside. Read on to find out how we make our secret sauce.
(Serves 1-2 pax)
Grilled vegetables, sliced thinly (zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms)
Bechamel sauce (see below)
1/2 cup ricotta cheese or vegan substitute
Handful of baby spinach leaves
Melty vegan cheese
Salt to taste
Ingredients (Bechamel Sauce):
1 cup unsweetened vegan milk
2 tbsps flour (or gluten-free substitute)
1/4 cup vegan butter
1 tsp Mekhala Organic Thai Basil Garlic Paste
1. Pre-heat oven to 375°F/190°C.
2. Melt butter in a pot over medium heat.
3. Add flour and stir until mixture becomes a paste, continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
4. Slowly add milk and stir until mixture is smooth.
5. Add Mekhala Organic Thai Basil Garlic Paste until combined and continue cooking for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
6. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese and spinach leaves.
7. In a dutch oven or casserole dish, alternately layer vegetables, bechamel sauce, and ricotta cheese mixture, then top with vegan cheese.
8. Bake in the oven for 5 to minutes, or until the cheese melts.
9. Enjoy hot!
This dish is also great for using up rogue vegetable halves languishing in your fridge. When you make yours, we’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Tell us which vegetables worked best for you! Don’t forget to hashtag #MadeWithMekhala to be featured on our IG page