Here’s our recipe hack for making almost instant kimchi.
Ingredients (Serves 1-2):
500g (17oz) Chinese cabbage (white parts cut into thumb-sized pieces, green leafy parts can be about palm-sized pieces)
2 cups water (cold or room temperature)
2 ½ tbsp salt
2-3 tsp Mekhala Organic Korean Chilli Paste
1 tsp white sugar
1 cup green onion, cut into about 5cm pieces
1 ½ tbsp sesame seeds
1. In a large bowl, mix water and salt until completely dissolved.
2. Add in Chinese cabbage and toss until every piece is coated with salt water.
3. Place a heavy bowl (or bowl with water) on top of the cabbage to weigh and press it down.
4. Let sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
5. After 20 minutes, toss cabbage again. Then let sit under the heavy bowl for another 25 minutes.
6. Drain cabbage. Set aside.
7. In another big bowl, mix in Mekhala Organic Korean Chilli Paste and sugar.
8. Add in Chinese cabbage, green onion and sesame seeds. Mix until coated with sauce. Serve and enjoy!
Thinking about a main dish to accompany kimchi, how about Korean Spicy Pork Lettuce Wraps or Korean Spicy Glass Noodles Stir Fry (Spicy Japchae).
This recipe is worth a try! If you love it, tell us in the comments below and tag us in your photo on Instagram with #MadewithMekhala